Umhlobo Wenene FM is a broadcast radio station in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, providing Xhosa language News, Sports and Entertainment. Broadcasting to people who understand Xhosa, the second largest population group in South Africa, Umhlobo Wenene Fm is second largest radio station in the South Africa.
To Empower and Inspire all Xhosa speaking South Africans
Who are we among the SABC Brands?
Umhlobo Wenene FM is a Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) radio station which broadcasts exclusively in isiXhosa, providing compelling and distinctive programming that not only entertains but also empowers South African citizens.
Umhlobo Wenene FM is the 2nd biggest African language radio station and the second most loved radio brand in the country (Sunday Times/ McKinnor Brands Survey 2006, 2007, 2008).
Umhlobo Wenene FM has a rich history and heritage that has built the station to what it is today (since 1960), and is still evolving.
The station has developed such close relationships with its listeners to an extent that it was only natural to name it Umhlobo Wenene FM (after Radio Xhosa) - as it is viewed by listeners as a true friend.
Like a true friend Umhlobo Wenene FM is always there for its listeners. It is viewed as a trusted companion, an advisor, a comforter, a motivator, an educator, and an entertainer.
The station has the widest reach imaginable, being the only national ALS broadcasting in 7 provinces with easy access in all major metropolis in the country.
The majority of Umhlobo Wenene FM’s listeners (80%) reside in the Eastern and Western Cape, with the rest spread across the entire country.
Umhlobo Wenene FM’s Positioning:
Umhlobo Wenene FM is a trusted Friend to all South Africans who speak and understand isiXhosa. The station continuously strives to produce and disseminate programming that is distinct and compelling, programming that promotes Nation Building, supports Democracy and contributes towards Social Cohesion. The station prides itself with being a credible, reliable, innovative, ethical, and responsible source of information and entertainment.
The station offers its listeners a sense of belonging, and keeps them rooted to their culture within a modern context.
Who is our Target Market?
Core Target Market : 25-34 years, LSM 6-8
Primary Target Market : 16-24; 35-49 years, LSM 5-8
Brand Epicentre : 35 years, LSM 6
- SATMA Awards Best Traditional Radio Presenter of the Year 2018 (Mr Monwabisi “Gudla” Bangi)
- SATMA Awards Best Traditional Radio Program of the Year 2018 (Lavuth’bhayi)
- Liberty Radio Awards winner of the Hall of Fame 2018 (Mr Phumzile Mnci)
- Liberty Radio Awards winner of the Bright Star 2018 (Ms Zukiswa Mqumbisa)
- SATMA Awards Best Traditional Radio Presenter of the Year 2017 (Mr Monwabisi “Gudla” Bangi)
- Liberty Radio Awards winner of the Station of the Year 2017
- Liberty Radio Awards winner of Station Imaging 2017
- Liberty Radio Awards winner of Content Producer 2017 (Elvis Mali)
- Liberty Radio Awards winner of Daytime Show 2017 (SJL)
- Liberty Radio Awards winner of Weekend Show 2017 (Ibuzwa Kwabaphambili)
- Liberty Radio Awards winner of Music Show 2017 (Iikwayala Eziphambili)
- Liberty Radio Awards Hall of Fame 2017 ( Zola Yeye)
- Liberty Radio Awards Hall of Fame 2017 ( Rev. Krweqana)
- Sunday Times Generation Next Awards winner of Coolest Radio Station 2017 (3rd Place)
- 4 x SATMA Awards winner for best traditional music dj (2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014)
- 4 x SATMA Awards best traditional programme (2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014)
- My station Award MTN Radio Awards 2013
- Young Bright Star Achiever Award (MTN Radio Awards 2013)
- SABC Crown Gospel Music Award for best radio show Ukholo Nengqiqo (2013)
- 3 NACMA Awards for bets choral music dj and best choral music programme ( 2012, 2013 & 2014)
- MTN radio award 2013 for Midday show (Sijikilanga)
- Standard bank Iketsetse / Zenzele recognition certificate (Afternoon drive) 2013
- SATMA award for best journalist (Zimkhitha Macingwana)2013
- SATMA awards Station of the year 2014
- MTN Best brekfast Show PBS 2014
- MTN Best Breakfast show presenter 2014
- MTN best drama PBS 2014
- MTN Station of The Year 2014
- MTN wall of fame induction (Putco Mafani 2014)
- Melting Pot Station Recognition for choral music 2014
5,3 million listeners
Go getters, empowered, aspirational, economic drivers, modern and yet cultured, mostly rural women and men
Covers 8 out of the 9 provinces
HOW THIS WORKS
- Choose your neareast location from the list.
- Your frequency will be displayed
- Tune in and enjoy
YOUR FREQUENCY IS: